This OER enables you to:
- Identify different types of bricks and their uses
- Describe different types of brick bonds
- Carry out the brick work
A brick is a block of a ceramic material used in masonry construction. They are usually stacked together, or laid using various kinds of mortar to hold the bricks together and make a permanent structure. Bricks are typically produced in common or standard sizes in bulk quantities. They have been regarded as one of the longest lasting and strongest building materials used throughout history.
Visit the nearest brick factory and learn about types and manufacturing process of bricks.
Types of bricks:
Please click the PPTs to know about types of bricks
- Observe and Compare brick construction in your surrounding and list it down.
- Visit nearest construction site and find out the brick laying method used in the construction. Talk to the meson and get more information about the brick bond.
Let’s understand different tools used in brick constructions. Please click the PPTs to know about tools used in brick work
To see how to use spirit level, see the video below -
Steps involved in Brick work:
Following are the steps involved in doing brick work.
- Selection of site
- List and Collect materials and tools required for brick construction.
- Soaking bricks
- Preparing mortar
- Laying brick, filling the mortar
- Curing of construction - Watering the construction
Please click the PPTs to know about actually doing a brick work oflash file="http://oer.nios.ac.in/wiki/images/4/48/Brickworkprocedure.swf" width="600" height="400" "
To see actual brick work, please click on this video
* http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-build-a-brick-wall-2 * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qLzZJQbBY&feature=related
The shelter is one of the basic needs for human being. Bricks are used in construction since ancient times. The proportion of mortar is crucial to achieve strength of construction.
- Karan want to construct 4ft * 2ft * 3 ft water tank. Please estimate the material required and its cost.
- Identify types of brick used in following constructions.
- Construct a planter around trees
- Construct a bed for vermin compost
5.Group Discussion: Discuss the following issues in your group
- What are other alternative to bricks in constructions?
- Why brick construction is cheaper than traditional stone and soil constriction?