This OER enables you to:
- Describe various types of Fish
- Explain selection criteria for Fish
- Describe various methods suitable for Fish cooking
- Explain points to remember while cooking fish
Meena was having her lunch and picks up a piece of fried fish to eat.
: “Ehh! Mom what’s this?: “What is it Meena? Why are you shouting?
“Mom, this fish tastes and smells horrible.“You are one of the best cooks mom, what went wrong this time? : Meena the reason could be when Ramu bought it from market it was not looking very fresh. Anyway just finish your lunch I have lot of work to do”
Meena’s mom left the room.
(wondering) fresh fish??? Does it really affect the taste?
“Yes, it affects the taste.”
Who,s this ?? (Looking here and there) “ Hi! It,s me ‘Frenzy’ the fish. Look into your plate
hi! You can talk? And you said that freshness of the fish affects the taste. What does that mean?
“yes, not just the freshness but there are many factors which affect the cooking of fish ““Really?”
“Come let me take you to the wonderful journey of Fish cookery”
There are many common methods used to cook fish ,the common methods are discussed below. There's one important point to remember about cooking fish is that when you start cooking leave it in pan for few minutes to develop a crust so that when you turn the fish for even cooking it will not break into pieces
Types of Fish
→Fish could be from lakes, rivers or sea so, we can differentiate fish into:
- A) Salt water fish &
- B) Fresh water Fish
Sea water fish has a stronger flavour whereas the fresh water has a mild flavour →The fat content can also determine the types of fish:
- A) Oily Fish
- B) Lean Fish
Fish with high fat content (oily fish) produce a good succulent quality than a lean fish as the natural fat present in it keeps it away from drying.
Visit following link and solve the activity given below
Given below are the names of both oily as well as lean fish you will now pick the fishes and classify them into Lean fish and Oily fish:
- Salmon, Pomfret, Cod, Trout, Haddock, Mackerel, Herring
Selection of Fish
- The eyes should be bright and moist.
- Eyes should not be sunken
- The gills should give a fresh smell and also should be bright pinkish red in colour.
- The flesh should be firm, elastic and springy.
- The scales should be plenty firm, full and should not flake out easily while handling.
- Fish should have a fresh salty smell.
Click the given link: http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/351-how-to-buy-store-fish
Selection of cooking method depends on its Fat content, Season & Source from where it is obtained (Sea water or Fresh water fish).
The fat content helps in determining the method of cooking. Fish with fat i.e. oily fish will produce best quality product if baked or boiled as natural fat present in fish keeps it away from drying while cooking While lean fish calls for delicate cooking as the fat content is very less so the best method can be poaching, boiling or steaming as this will keep the flesh firm and will not disintegrate. There are some cooking methods which can be used for all types of fish like frying, sautéing
Types of cooking method:
Let’s know each type of cooking method:
- Boiling of fish – with cold water or cooking liquor either with small or large pieces
- Poaching – cooking liquor barely covers fish. Fish covered with greased proof paper and poached in oven. Cooking liquor may be used for making sauces. Method suitable for small whole fish cuts of fillet.
- Stewing – fish cooked in this method is generally served as a soup in the form of a broth known as ―En Matelote.
- Shallow frying – cooked in little oil in a shallow pan eg: Meunier
- Deep Frying – done covered with hot oil for eg: Poisson Colbert
- Baking – Done covering with foils or leaves
- Roasting – similar to baking, expect covering
- Braising – keeping fish in little stock and baking it
- Grilling – cooked over griller after dusting
- Au Gratin – covered with a sauce, tomato sauce, fish veloute and then baked.
For more details pleas follow the link: http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/363-how-to-pan-fry-fish
Points to remember while cooking fish
- Do not overcook fish as it loses flavor moisture and becomes tough.
- Cook fish till the flesh becomes opaque.
- Weight not thickness determines cooking time so adjust time taking note of weight.
- Freshness and quality of the fish can influence cooking time
For more details please follow the link: http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/357
Cooking fish can depend on its fat content, the source from where it is obtained, and the season. Good selection procedure while purchasing as well taking precautions while prepare can result in Oily fish can be fried or broiled whereas lean fish can be poached, boiled or steamed. Both types of fish can be shallow fried or deep fried.
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJQu0et_m4 * http://www.answers.com/topic/fish-food