List of Basic Tools
|Previous Page||Home Page||Next Page|
- S.No. Name of tools
- 1. Pliers
- 2. Wire Stripper OR Electrician Knife
- 3. Push Pull Steel Tape
- 4. Try Square
- 5. Plumb Bob with Nylon thread
- 6. Tenon Saw (Back Saw, Devetail Saw)
- 7. Hack Saw (Adjustable Frame type)
- 8. Firmer Chisel
- 9. Cold Chisel
- 10. Trimming Knife
- 11. Hammer
- 12. Hand drill machine with twist drill & masonry drill
- 13. Electrician’s Screwdriver
- 14. Test Lamp
- 15. Tester
1. Plier There are different types of pliers. Pliers specified by its length of legs, its type, insulation material. Here Electricians plier, Diagonal Cutting Pliers, Long Nosed Plier is discuss. (a) Electrician’s Plier Name : Electrician’s Plier, Lineman’s Plier, Combination Plier etc. Material : Steel, Plastic hand covers. Use : To cut, to grip and twist the wires. Care : Always keep the plier properly insulated. Do not cut hard substance with it. Never use it as a hammer. (b) Diagonal Cutting Plier Name : Diagonal cutting plier, Side cutting plier Material : Steel, Plastic hand covers Use : To crop metal wire close to a surface. Care : Diagonal cutting pliers are designed for cropping metal only. They should not be used as standard pliers to grip wire. (c) Long Nosed Plier Name : Long Nosed Plier Material : Steel, Plastic hand covers Use : To grip small objects in confined spaces; to crop soft wire Care : Long nosed pliers are manufactured in a variety of shapes and proportions but they all have serrated tapering jaws to work in confined spaces. Some models have side cutters to crop soft wire. 2. Electrician’s Knife Name : Electrician’s Knife Material : Handle - Plastic, Rosewood Blade - Stainless Steel Use : Removing insulation of wires and cables. Care : Used it properly without touching the blade. 3. Push Pull Steel Tape Name : Push Pull Steel Tape OR Flexible Rule Material : Tape - Steel, Fiber Glass Case - Steel, Plastic Use : To determine the size of a work piece or to survey an area. Care : Check periodically that the hook has not become too loose. 4. Try Square Name : Try Square Material : Blade - Steel Stock - Cast Iron, Hard-wood Use : To work out or check the work for square. Care : Never try and use the stock of a square as a ham- mer. Intext Questions 2.1 Fill in the blanks: 1) Electrician’s plier is used for . 2) Always keep the plier properly . 3) The tool used for crop metal wire close to a surface is .
4) The tool used to grip small objects in confined space is . 5) The push pull steel tape is used for . 5. Plumb Bob Name : Plumb Bob Material : Bob - Brass, Plastic, Lead, Steel Line(Cord) Nylon, Silk Use : To line out electrical installations on the walls & ceilings of the buildings Care : Before marking lines the thread should be rubbed or the red ochre or same colored material to get a clean line out. The thread must not be free while lining out the thread must be stretched fully to avoid the sag. For marking purpose grip the thread at the centre with your pinch and then leave it at once for getting straight and clear marking. 6. TENON SAW Name : Tenon Saw, Back Saw Material : Blade - Steel, Handle - Beech, Plastic Use : To cut joints.
Care : Great care should be taken to start the cut correctly. The teeth of the tenon saw must be kept very sharp. For the purpose of sharpening the teeth always use a triangular file. The cutting angle of each tooth must be the same as the previous one. After resharpening set the saw properly saw set is used for springing the set. 7. Hack Saw Name : Hack Saw Material : Blade - Steel, Handle - Alloy, Plastic, Wooden Use : To cut the metals Care : While working with the hack saw see that cuts are very straight otherwise due to the bending the blade may break causing the unnecessary delay in the work. Before starting the work the blade should be cleaned and placed properly in the proper position. 8. Firmer Chisel Name : Firmer Chisel Material : Blade - Steel Handle - Wood, Plastic Use : To trim and chop wood Care : When a chisel becomes stubby in must be reground and resharpened.
9. Cold Chisel Name : Cold Chisel Material : Steel Use : To cut metal Care : When a chisel becomes stubby it must be reground and resharpened. 10. Trimming Knife Name : Trimming Knife Material : Blade - Specifically treated carbon Steel Case - Alloy body with blade store Use : To remove insulation from heavy duty cables. Care : To cut the cable properly.
11. Hammer Hammers are used in various parts of the world under different names and a variety of shapes and sizes. They are Hammer Ball Pein, Hammer Cross Pein, and Hammer Club Pein etc. a) Hammer Ball Pein Name : Hammer Ball Pein Material : Head - Steel Shaft - Wood, Bamboo Use : To drive punches and cold chisels to form metal Care : To hammer that object only which you have to stuck it.
b) Hammer Cross Pein Name : Hammer Cross Pein Material : Blade - Steel Handle - Wood, Bamboo Use : To drive punches and cold chisels to form metal Care : To hammer that object only which you have to stuck it. c) Hammer Claw Name : Hammer Claw Material : Blade - Steel Handle - Wood, Bamboo Use : To reopen the screws and to drive the punches. Care : To hammer that object only which you have to reopen it. 12. Hand Drill Machine with twist drill and Masonry Drill (8)
Name : Hand Drill machine Material : Body - Cast iron Aluminum Use : To drill holes in wood & metal. Care : Do not jerk while drilling. Always place a wooden piece below the job to be drilled, Otherwise the bit will hit the floor & get damaged. Hand drill combines hand driven and gear ratio to provide a convenient speed. A larger gear wheel drives one or two pinions which apply torque to the chuck. The chuck has usually 3 self centering jaws. 13. Electrical Screw Driver Name : Electrician’s Screw driver Material : Blade - Steel; Handle - Plastic. Use : To tight or loose slotted screws. Care : Always use a Screw driver of proper size for a particular work. Never sharpen the blunt edge. Intext Questions 2.2 Fill in the blanks: 1. To lineout electrical installation on the wall is used. 2. The Hack saw is used to . 3. Trimming knife is suitable for removing the installation from . 4. The body of hand drill machine is made up of , & . 5. To tight or loose slotted screws are used.
14. Test Lamp Name : Test Lamp Material : Bakelite pendent holder, wires and lamp. Use : To test the electrical circuits i.e. to find out short circuits, open circuits and to test earthing. Care : Do not keep the test lamp along with the other tools. Never test supply voltage between two lines with single lamp. 15. Line Tester Name : Line Tester Material : Case - plastic Blade - Steel Use : To test the phase or live wire only. Care : Generally do not use the line tester as a screw driver. Never test high voltage by the line tester. 16. Raval Punch Name : Raval punch Material : Iron Use : It is use to dig a hole in concrete wall. Care : Hold the rawal punch exactly perpendicular to the wall. Do not use it on the metallic parts to avoid breakage.
|Previous Page||Home Page||Next Page|