Role of Reservations
This OER enablses you to:
- define the term “Reservation” in the hotel context
- explain the importance of Reservations for the guest
The term ‘reservation’ used in the context of a hotel, means the booking or reserving of a room (accommodation) by a guest. Reservations leads to reserving of a particular type of room for a particular guest for a given period of time. It also gives the guest the first impression of the hotel. Reservations involve activities which do not take place in front of the guests. The entire front office activities start the moment an enquiry or request regarding accommodation is made at the reservations.
Please read the list of activities given below
- Making Staff schedules
- Amending Reservations
- Generating Reports
- Making a sales forecast
- Making a Reservation
- Sales Reports
- Cancelling a Reservation
- Giving information to guests
Functions of Reservation Desk
- • Making a Reservation: means booking of a hotel room for a guest or a group of guests for a specific number of days for a set tariff or rate.
- 1. This ensures that a room will be available to the guest on his arrival to the hotel.
- 2. The guest will arrive to use the room which has been booked by him
- • Amending a Reservation: means changing an existing reservation. The change could be for:
- 1. Date (arrival or departure)
- 2. Type of room
- 3. Number of guests
- 4. Number of rooms
- • Cancelling a Reservation: means removing an existing reservation on request of the person who may have made the reservation.
- • Reservations also gives important information to guest regarding:
- 1. Room Types
- 2. Room Rates or tariff
- 3. Hotel facilities
Read the following scenario and answer the question given.
A person books a week in advance for a single room. One day before his check-in he calls and asks for a family room, as he is coming in with his wife and two children aged 7 and 3. How should the reservationist deal with this?
Reservations plays an important role from guest perspective.Reservation desk performs the following functions
- Makes bookings
- Amends existing bookings
- Cancels bookings
- Gives hotel information
There are various new ways in which reservations are given to hotels. The internet is one. Do you think it is helpful to the guest? Justify your answers and comment on others views.