- 1 Concept Map
- 2 Objectives
- 3 Introduction
- 4 Parts of Salad
- 5 Raw and Cooked Simple Salads
- 6 Preparation of a Simple Salad
- 7 Summary:
- 8 Assignments
This OER enables you to:
- define a Simple Salad
- explain various types of a Simple Salad
- differentiate between raw and cooked salads
- explain parts of a Simple Salad
- prepare a Simple Salad taking proper precautions
- arrange a Simple Salad
Salad is a combination of various ingredients that is either raw ,cooked or both. The ingredients used can be any vegetable, meat, fish, fruits as a main ingredient or in combination depending on its type like simple salad, compound salad,tossed salad. You are working in a restaurant and a guest orders a Simple Salad. What will you serve the guest?
Let us understand what a Simple Salad is.
A Simple Salad usually consists of a single kind of vegetable, fruit, meat etc. tossed in a dressing as a base with one or two ingredients, in small quantities are used for decoration or as a garnish. For example, Cucumber salad, coleslaw salad, tomato salad ,green salad, waldrof salad, Russian salad , Caesar salad etc.
Parts of Salad
What is a Salad made up of? Let us click on the following link to get the answer
After going through the presentation given above Match the following:
Raw and Cooked Simple Salads
Is Simple Salad served raw or cooked?
Preparation of a Simple Salad
What are the ingredient that goes into preparing a simple salad?
Ingredients required are
What Precautions should be taken before preparing a simple salad?
Following points to be taken into consideration before preparing a simple salad
- Wash all ingredients like fruits and vegetable thoroughly (as it can be a good source of contamination) pat it dry as it may result in final product to be watery
- Keep all ingredients ready before preparing the salad as this ensures freshness and cruncy ness in salad
- Utilize the freshest ingredients and especially those in season as this will keep nutrients intact
- Light leafy vegetables should be torn into bite size pieces and never cut the greens tossed gently in a dressing just before the service to avoid wilting of salad.
- Pour enough dressing to season; not drown the main ingredient as it will result in wilting of salad and overpowering the taste
- Use a suitable container to present the salad garnish with edible ingredient to give it eye appeal
- Never overcrowd the salad plate.
- Accommodate the salad within the dish and not on or over the edge.
Guidelines for preparation of simple salads
Following activities are involved in preparing simple salad 1 Wash vegetables/fruits in cold water. Hold by roots end plunging in water to force water to center, thus removing dirt and grit. 2 Cut vegetables as per the requirement. (cubes, threads, strips etc.) 3 Keep in a cool place until required. Refrigerate greens in a colander covered with damp towel or in perforated storage bin to allow air circulation & complete drainage. This helps to keep the greens crisp. 4 When required mix all the ingredients with dressing 5 Served neatly in china, glass or wooden bowls. Garnish as required. Serve dressing apart. Always keep cool.
Click on the Link to view video on preparation of salad.
The media player is loading...
Guidelines for arranging salads
- Look at the plate or bowl as frame. Pick the right size dish. Keep salad off the rim.
- Maintain good balance of color . Three colors are usually enough.
- Height makes the salad more attractive.
- Cut ingredients neatly and uniformly
- Be sure that ingredients can be identified
- Keep arrangements simple
Simple Salad may include leaf greens, raw and/or cooked vegetables, fruit, meat, legumes and rice and pasta based salads, to mention just a few. Certain factors need to be considered while planning a salad. These include:
- Fresh ingredients (Put relevant images)
- Attractive plating (Put relevant images)
- Proper textures
- Eye appeal
- Well balanced flavor
A simple salad is a variety of one or more greens. A mild dressing has to be added to give it flavor and taste.
- Identify the main nutrients that you get from eating salads of different types.
- List at least five principles to be kept in mind while making a salad.
- Explain why salads are recommended as a healthy option in our diet?