Battery testing instrument and the Charger
Battery Testing Instruments-
For checking the battery voltage high rate discharge cell tester is used & for checking a gravity of electrolyte hydrometer is used. In that High rate discharge Call tester is to give the correct terminal voltage on full load of the battery cell. Hydrometer is used to test the specific graving of the electrolyte. Battery charging equipment consists of a step down transformer to convert 230V A. C. into low voltage A. C. This voltage is fed to a bridge rectifier which converts it into low voltage d.c. This d.c. voltage is used for battery charging. Ammeter is used to indicate current & voltmeter indicates battery voltage. Fuse is used as safety device.
Fig.4 Bridge rectifier)
2] IN TEXT QUESTIONS-
a) Fill in the blanks-
1. An instrument which converts A.C. Voltage into D.C. Voltage is called _______.
2. Ammeter is used to indicate _________.
3. Voltmeter indicates battery _________.
4. _______ is used for battery charging.
Terminal Questions -
Answers the questions-
1. State the principle of primary cell.
2. State the defects of a primary cell.
3. State the chemical action of dry cell with figure.
4. What is electrolyte?
5. Write a short note on construction of battery?
6. What a short note on construction of battery?
7. What do you mean by charging?
1] In text Questions -
a) Fill in the blanks.
2. Local action & polarization
5. Set of cells b) True or False.
2] In text Questions -
a) Fill in the blanks.
1. Battery charger
2. Charging Current
4. Battery charger
Suggested Activities -
1. Identify the various types of Cells.
2. List the details given on the Cell.
3. Measure the voltage of Cell.
Take a cell in left hand.
See the all sides i.e. rounded which is seen on cell & write it.
1.5 V, 3 V, 6 V, 9 V batteries. Tools - Voltmeter.
- Measure the cell of 1.5 Volt.
- Measure the cell of 3 Volt.
- Measure the cell/ battery of 6 Volt.
- Measure the cell/ battery of 9 Volt.
- a. Company’s name
- b. Company Address
- c. Metal clad, Leak proof
- d. Nippo Heavy Duty
- e. Hyper battery.
- f. Voltage
- g. Price of cell
- h. Manufacturing Date of Cell
- i. ISI standard
1. Take a voltmeter. Connect the positive terminal of voltmeter to positive terminal of cell & negative terminal of voltmeter to negative terminal of cell.
Rated Voltage Actual Voltage get 1.5 V 1.5 V 3 V 2.5 V 6 V 4.0 V 9 V 8.5 V
What you have learnt
A cell is an electrochemical device consisting of two electrodes & a battery is a group of cells. Internal construction of cell & battery also seen. Indications of charged & discharged conditions charging what is a necessity of charging also we seen.