LAB ARRANGEMENT AND SAFETY PRECAUTION
Lab assistants & Technicians should know many important things while working in a pathology laboratory .Clean & neat laboratory facilities are necessary to give good services to the patients. It will help to produce more accurate results If the technicians know
well about do’s & dont’s in the lab, he will work effectively which will ultimately lead to keeping good standard of work & giving accurate results. Disinfection in the lab is a very important step for safety of patients as well as for technicians.
In this lesson, we will discuss the details about lab arrangement & lab methodology.
After reading this lesson you will be able to know & understand about:
- laboratory arrangement & set up;
- electric supply;
- water supply;
- norms-behavior of technician;
- various ways of Disinfection in the lab.
7.3 LABORATORY ARRANGEMENT AND SET UP
- Clean & good laboratory facilities are necessary to give good services to the patients.
- The lab should be airy & with big windows to get natural light.
- The walls should be painted with white or light colors.
Fill in the blanks
- The lab have instruments like, , .
- The electric connection should have proper .
- of electric instruments for shock will help to avoid any accident.
- The lab would have water supply through tap up to .
- The laboratory would need water for cleaning & washing of .
- The lab would have proper facilities to dispose samples & chemicals & used water after washing & cleaning.
7.4 Norms–Behavior of Technician
The lab technicians would to know that what are the duties & behaviour of the Lab Technician-
- Punctuality at workplace is very important.
- Neatness & clean clothes, using the lab coat is also important.
- Arranging the glass wear, needles, chemical bottles at proper place is also very important. Giving proper instructions to the patients while sample collection will help for accurate lab results.
- Wash the hands after completing the test. Bringing eatables in the lab should be strictly avoided.
- Honesty & clean practices while carrying out test is very
- If there occurs any mistake by the technicians while carrying out the procedure it should be repeated; do not disclose any confidential information about the patient reports to others.
- Put off gas connection, electric connections & other electric instruments, water taps before closing the lab.
INTEXT QUESTIONS 7.3
Fill in the blanks
1. Giving proper instructions to the patients while sample
collection will help for lab results.
2. Bringing in the should be strictly avoided.
3. Do not disclose any information about the patient reports to others.
4. List out the precautions to be taken before closing the lab
7.5 Disinfection of lab
Various ways of Disinfection -
- Disinfection with boiling water- Needles & blood lancets are disinfected with boiling water of 100oc for 20 minutes Glass wears, syringes, test tubes, pipettes are also disinfected in this way.
- Heating with spirit lamp –Metal appliances used for bacteriology such as needles, forceps, wire loops are sterilized by
heating until red hot with spirit lamp.
- Disinfection with help of pressure cooker- During MPN test the medium is kept in boiling water in the pressure cooker for
20 minutes .
- Disinfection by incineration –The test samples for sputum test are discarded by burning or incineration.
- Use new needle for every new patient.
- All the urine samples should be discarded in the toilet.
- The sputum & blood samples should be mixed with disinfectant solution & then discarded in toilets.
- Wash all the specimen collection bottles with detergent solution & use pressure cooker for sterilization.
- The floor in the lab should be cleaned daily with Dettol solution.
- Any specimen spilled on the table or floor should be wiped first with cotton swab & then clean with spirit.
- INTEXT QUESTIONS 7.4
Fill in the blanks
1) & are disinfected with boiling water of 100°c for 20 minutes.
2) During the medium is kept in boiling water in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes.
3) Use needle for every new patient.
4) Any specimen spilled on the table or floor should be wiped first with cotton swab & then clean with .
7.6 WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNT
- Clean & neat laboratory facilities are necessary to give good services to the patients & to produce accurate results.
- Arrangements in Big Laboratory- separate waiting room for patients, room for blood collection, room for carrying out test.& attached toilet & arrangement for disposal of samples.
- The electric supply should have proper earthing & regular check up of instruments.
- The water supply is necessary for cleaning & washing.
- Various ways of Disinfection in the lab, would be followed.
7.7 TERMINAL QUESTIONS
1. Write an essay on the Lab arrangement.
2. Describe the various ways on Disinfections.
7.8 ANSWER TO INTEXT QUESTIONS
1) True 2) True
1) centrifuge, refrigerator, hot water bath 2) earthing 3) Regular check up 4) basin 5) glass wear 6) disposal
1) accurate 2) eatables, lab 3) confidential 4) Put off gas connection, electric connections & other electric instruments, water taps.
1) Needles; blood lancets 2) MPN test 3) New 4) Spirit
Visit a pathology laboratory in your town & observe the
arrangements & set up in the lab. Take an interview of the
technician on, do’s & don’t of the technician disinfection in the lab.