This OER enables you to:
- describe mayonnaise
- identify the ingredients used in preparing mayonnaise
- prepare mayonnaise and some of its derivatives
- rectify mayonnaise if it curdles
I make delicious salads as a dressing and as a spread for burger or sandwiches. I belong to Spain, but popularized by French.
Ingredients required and preparation
- Yolk -: Emulsifying is done by slowly adding one ingredient to another while simultaneously mixing rapidly. This disperses and suspends tiny droplets of one liquid through another. I contain lecithin, a fat emulsifier, which binds the ingredients together and prevents separation.
- Lecithin is a fat that is essential in the cells of the body.
You should add me while briskly whisking to incorporate the oil into the emulsion. Initially you should not add me very rapidly. But when it is almost ready then you can add me rapidly.
- Whisking is a technique of blending ingredients by whisk. It often serves to smooth the mixture or add air and it helps in emulsification process. It also helps to eliminate lumps.
Ingredients such as pepper, French mustards are also added to give a taste.
Precautions to be taken
Homemade mayonnaise is uncooked, be sure to use the freshest eggs possible, and ones that you are reasonably sure are free from salmonella (it is a bacteria). Homemade mayonnaise will last three to four days in the refrigerator. It contains 75 – 80 % of fat. Hence, It’s not good to eat every day.
Derivatives of mayonnaise
- Garlic mayonnaise : mayonnaise + mince garlic
- Tartar sauce :mayonnaise + lime juice + chopped capers + chopped tarragon + chopped gherkins
- Cocktail sauce: mayonnaise + tomato ketchup
Mayonnaise is a thick, creamy sauce.One can prepare this by following the procedure described above.
- Make a Mayonnaise yourself and share with your friends and note down their feedback.